Friday, May 14, 2010

Having Issues...

Hello Faithful Readers! Did you miss me?


I've been having some trouble accessing the internet from my home computer the past couple days. And I was not feeling well yesterday morning so I was not at work and able to post from this computer. As you may have guessed I was not on a city bus yesterday either. It's hard enough to find motivation to ride the bus when I'm feeling well. When I'm not feeling well all motivation goes right out the window! I'm working on my computer issues but I'm sorry to report that my experiment is finding some bigger issues with our city's bus system.
Wednesday I rode the Lynx Bus to and from work with the usual 10 to 15 minute delays but few problems. However, I had some errands to run as well and they couldn't wait just because I'm "experimenting" with the bus. I ride the #30 bus to work and back. This bus route runs along State Rd. 50/Colonial Dr. and past one of the places I needed to stop. I got off bus 30 at a shopping center at Maguire and S.R. 50.
It took me about 5 minutes to run into the store and pick up what I needed. From there I went right back to the bus stop I'd just been dropped off at. Based on the posted pick up time at the stop a block ahead of me I estimated that a #30 bus would come along in about 3 minutes or so. I had plans with friends that evening and I was trying to get home as quickly as possible, so I was quite frustrated when the bus didn't show up for a half hour! Essentially, an errand that took me less than 5 minutes cost me another 30 minutes in wait time! By the time I got back on the road I didn't want to factor more wait time into my schedule so I skipped my other errand. This was definitely a case where my car would have would have been much more convenient. And my car would have helped through the rest of the night.
My friends picked me up to go to our weekly meditation and then out to dinner. Had I been driving myself I probably would've skipped dinner but when you're carpooling you're at the mercy of the driver. Later I rode my bike downtown to drop off some posters I'd picked up earlier; i.e., my errand. The ride downtown was nice. I sure picked a beautiful time of year to try to get around with no car! However as it got later I still found myself in the downtown area and the idea of riding home, alone at that time of night didn't seem very appealing. A couple friends offered to put my bike in their van and drive me back home and since they live in my direction I felt that this was my best option to get home safely and fuel efficiently.
As I mentioned before, yesterday I wasn't feeling well and I didn't ride the bus or my bike. I felt a little "stuck" at my house but I made the best of it and got the rest I needed. In the afternoon I very much wanted some soup, since I didn't have any and had no desire to walk, ride or bus it to the store I made what turned out to be a yummy alternative.
Today, feeling much more like myself, I set out to bus it to work again. I arrived at the stop a little later than I would have. I could've been on-time had I not cut my foot on the way out my front door and needed to go back in for a bandage. In Lynx Bus land late is on time, so my bus, #30, arrived about 2 minutes after I got to the stop. The ride to work was quick and comfortable and I arrived on time. The challenge today is that I have another errand I must run on my way home, in order to see about my internet service. I'm prepared for more issues. I've been learning the ways of the bus.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment