Monday, May 10, 2010

A Beginner's Question...

It is me who was late? Or is it the bus that's late? This was the question I was asking myself as I stood, for longer than I'd anticipated, at the bus stop this morning.
Those who know me know that I'm perpetually late(but I'm worth the wait, right?) today though I took every measure not to run behind schedule. I woke up about 2 hours earlier than I normally would just to make sure I wouldn't miss the buss I needed to catch in order to be to work on time. So, I was quite confused when I arrived at the stop a few minutes before the pick up time and was still standing there 15 minutes later. I was starting to think I'd missed it completely until a kindly homeless man wearing a plastic rosary explained that sometimes the buses run late and that the time they say they pick up is really just a general reference. He assured me that the bus I needed was the next to come along. I thanked him, of course he wanted more than verbal thanks though. The way I see it I paid him 50 cents for his knowledge.
A half-dollar lighter and a few minutes later I saw a bus approaching. Thankfully it was the one I needed. I stepped inside and showed the bus driver my weekly bus pass. He commented, with a smile "You're a new rider, huh?" I nodded as he showed me how to scan the ticket and what to do with it if I should transfer buses, something I won't have to worry about until tomorrow. I asked him if there was a specific time that I needed to be there to pick up the bus. What do you know, the bum was right! The bus driver explained that because of traffic tie ups and some riders taking a bit longer than others to get on and off the bus the times posted were a general guideline. He said if I wanted to be sure not to miss the bus I'd better be there on the early side of the posted time. I can do that, I thought, because I just did!
As I walked back on the bus and took a seat I was surprised at how clean it was. It didn't smell and surprisingly neither did the people on it! They all just seemed like normal folks getting to work or wherever they needed to go. After an easy, stress free 35 minute ride I arrived at work. The whole experience made me wonder why I hadn't thought of this sooner; save gas and the responsibly of driving! Waking up a little earlier to do it doesn't seem so bad.
Part 1 of day 1 went pretty well. Thanks to a cool front that blew into town standing in the sun and the lite wind a little longer was actually quite enjoyable. As was the knowledge that I was reducing my carbon footprint and oil consumption for the day and even helping the homeless along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment