Monday, May 10, 2010

A Bit More Confusion, A Bit More Clarification.

Today I learned, amongst other things, that some bus routes have 2 buses running on them, in 2 different directions, at different times! I'm just glad I ask questions and that bus drivers are allowed to let you off if they haven't started moving yet. Otherwise my 40 minute ride home from work would have been 40 minutes longer! As it was I had to sit and wait an extra 15 minutes for the bus I actually needed to come along.
I also learned that the bus doesn't smell as good later in the day. Nor do some of the people on it, especially after a warm day out in the Florida sun. I was able to escape a foul odor by moving a few rows over though. Had the bus been any more crowded I wouldn't have been able to make the move. However our city's buses don't seem to be very crowed to me, and I'm taking buses along some major routes.
Why don't more people in Orlando take the bus? I asked myself this last week when I was considering this experiment. I may be learning a lot about the bus during this process but more than anything that's the question that I'd like to see answered. If I can show that the bus is a viable source of transportation in our city then perhaps more people will use it to get around, thus saving gasoline.
I found my rides today on The Lynx Bus to be rather simple, after asking the right questions, and fairly comfortable. The major drawback is having to allot a bit more time to waiting for the bus to pick-up and on the ride itself. However a bigger portion of my waiting today could have been saved if I'd actually know what I was doing. As with anything, I'm sure practice makes perfect. And tomorrow I'm going to get my practice in!
I've got to be to my early job at a local college radio station, WPRK 91.5 FM, by 8am. Which means I have to get up and out of the house by 6:45am! Plus I'll have to transfer buses to get there, something I haven't attempted yet. Once I'm finished at the radio station I'll still have to get to my other job, which will also take 2 buses. Things could get a little hairy for your favorite Lynx Bus rider tomorrow, which will make for some interesting blogging. Still please wish me luck dear readers. I may need it, if only to make it on time.

ps- This evening I rode my bike to the bank, to dinner, to grab a beer, chat with friends and watch the Orlando Magic win round 2 of The Playoffs (yay!) and I have to say it was lovely! It was a beautiful night to be outside. The air was cool, there was a light breeze and you could smell jasmine in the air. Just think, I may have missed it if I'd been stuck inside my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment